JIFCO Coconut/Coir Exports
The coconut tree (Cocos nucifera) is a member of the palm tree family. It is named as “The Tree of Life”, “Kapruka”, in Sri Lanka and “Kalparuksha” in Sanskrit. Coconut trees are universal in coastal tropical regions, and are a cultural icon of the tropics. It is one of the most useful trees in the world, and it provides food, fuel, cosmetics, folk medicine and building materials, among many other uses.
Sri Lanka is the fourth-largest exporter of coconut products to the world and coconuts accounts for approximately 12% of all agricultural produce in Sri Lanka. Among the most popular Sri Lankan coconut exports to the global market are desiccated coconut, virgin coconut oil and coconut water, while the country’s bristle fibre products manufactured through indigenous ‘Drum’ extraction method and activated carbon made with coconut shells are also in high demand.
Why Sri Lankan Coconut Products?
- Optimum Climate
- Outstanding Quality
- Unparalleled Expertise in the Industry
- Continuous Product Innovation
- State- of- the-art Agriculture Technology
- Eco-friendly Processes in Cultivation and Manufacturing
- Social Compliance Practices
Coconut Fibre Products
The fibre extracted from the outer layer of the coconut, coir fibre enjoys the exclusive properties of being the longest natural fibre as well as the strongest in terms of twist resistance. It falls into two main categories; brown and white fibre, which contributes to 80% and 20% correspondingly of the world coir fibre demand.
COIR TWINE. The product is made out of bristle fibre (long fibre) or bristle fibre mixed with omatt fibre (short fibre), according to buyer specifications. Sri Lankan Coir twine manufacturers & suppliers export Coir twine widely used in agriculture, horticulture and aquaculture industries.
DOORMATS (HANDMADE/MACHINE MADE). Using various types of coloured fibre and yarn with available production facilities, different types of Door Mats are produced to suit customer needs. The new doormats produced using wired – coir eliminates most of the inherent disadvantages of traditional brush mats. These products are more suitable for the winter season.
GEOTEXTILES. This is a blanket made out of coir fibre, widely used to prevent soil erosion on roads, railway sides, riverbanks, leisure grounds and in industrial areas. The product replaces synthetic materials such as Polypropylene, Polyester and Nylon etc. reducing environmental concerns.
RUBBERIZED COIR PRODUCTS. Used for Horticultural and Agricultural Industry. Plant pots are made out of natural coconut fibre and natural rubber latex. These pots facilitate better aeration to the plant’s root zone ensuring a high growth rate. These products are available in various shapes and sizes and can be purchased according to the buyers’ needs.
RUBBERIZED COIR MATTRESSES. A mixture of coir fibre and latex are steam heated, pressed and vulcanized to produce mattresses. These mattresses are used in physiological therapy for various types of bone diseases.
Coconut Kernel Products
- DESSICATED COCONUT. Sri Lanka is very popular in the world market for Desiccated Coconut (DC). Flavoured Desiccated Coconut, Defatted Desiccated Coconut, and Roasted Desiccated Coconut are the major sub products in the category that are being exported. Distinguishable white colour, texture and taste are the unique characteristics of Sri Lankan Desiccated Coconut that are unmatched by the other suppliers.
- COCONUT CREAM/MILK & MILK POWDER. One-hundred percent pure concentrates of coconut kernel extracts, with no added artificial flavours or preservatives are used by Sri Lankan Coconut cream & milk product manufacturers in producing these. The products are widely used in the confectionery and bakery industries, and also in many types of cuisine across the world to add a unique creamy texture and taste.
- COCONUT WATER. Coconut Water is an isotonic liquid, which can replace the fluids and minerals of the human body. Therefore, this can be described as a natural energy and health drink. It contains glucose as a main ingredient and minerals such as Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium and Phosphorus in trace elements.
- COCONUT OIL. Virgin Coconut Oil (VCNO) extracted from the Coconut Kernel is a natural edible product rich in vitamin E commonly used in cooking and to manufacture cosmetics. Due to the stability of coconut oil in high temperatures, VCNO is known to be beneficial for health when used to deep-fry food products, compared to the other edible oils.
Coconut Shell Products
CHARCOAL BRIQUETTES. The inner shell of the coconut is processed through “waste heat recovery” by Sri Lankan Coconut shell charcoal manufactures to produce pure and clean charcoal. These are available in Charcoal Briquettes, widely used for outdoor and indoor barbeques and domestic heating purposes through local charcoal suppliers. It is also used as Activated Carbon in food processing, medicine manufacturing and various industrial purifications.
Coco Peat Products
This is a by-product of the Brown Fiber extraction process and is used widely as a growing medium for plants in Horticultural/ Agricultural applications. Widely known as coco peat, it is commonly used as a substitute for peat moss in the Europe. Produced by a large number of coconut based products manufactures, they are mainly exported as compressed briquettes, blocks, disks or grow bags.
There are three major Government Institutions that are responsible for the production & quality improvement, supply development and research respectively; The Coconut Development Authority, Coconut Cultivation Board and the Coconut Research Institute.
To ensure the quality of exports, the certificate issued by the Coconut Development Authority should be accompanied with each and every shipment. Moreover, the coconut and coconut product manufacturers and suppliers of Sri Lanka are guided by a stringent set of regulations to ensure the quality of their products.